Monday, December 1, 2008

Hey, The Moon Was Smiling At Us!



(Bernama photo by Anuar Isman)

Yes, the moon was indeed smiling at my loved one and me. We had a slight misunderstanding last night, and I said I was sorry for hurting his feelings. But he couldn’t accept my apology.

At home, I sent him my apology through e-mail. Usually, my dear friend would take awhile to get over it and on most occasions, it was due to the slip of my tongue. In his reply, he said that he initially was not planning to check his email, but somehow did. He said that he had some work to do.

Thanks to Mr Moon, there was a warmer tone in his reply. You were smiling at us, but in your mysterious way, I thought you were instrumental in melting his heart. Life is full of surprises!

I only learnt about the smiling moon this morning through my secretary, Siti Balqish who tried to capture the magic moment with her camera last night. The picture didn’t turn out well as Mr Moon could only be captured through the professional lens.

Because of what happened, I spent the night reading newspapers in bed and skipped watching tv. Otherwise, I would have watched the visuals of Mr Moon over local television.

Mr Moon, you simply have that special effect on lovers. It’s not surprising that many popular songs refer to the Moon. One evergreen number is Fly Me to the Moon, written by Bart Howard in 1954. Popularised by Frank Sinatra in 1954, here are the first few lines of the song:

Fly me to the Moon,
And let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars.

Sinatra recorded a whole album of Moon tunes in 1966, as the Apollo missions were gearing up for the first landing.

While the early songs about the Moon referred to its romantic qualities, by the 1960s going to the Moon became a reality and pop songs started to refer to it as a place rather than a mellow night-time friend.

Typical was Jonathan King's 1965 Everyone’s Gone to the Moon which refers to a world that has lost its way.

Some of the popular Moon tunes are Moon River (Andy Williams/Danny Williams), Carolina Moon (Connie Francis), Moonshadow (Cat Stevens), Moonlight Becomes You (Bing Crosby), Bad Moon Rising (Creedence Clearwater Revival) and Engkau Laksana Bulan (P. Ramlee).


1 comment:

somboon cheanswaths said...

You're right. The moon affects different people in different ways. I saw the smiling moon you referred to while driving home last night. And silly me I thought the two stars were actually satellites. You miss one beautiful song by Pink Floyd which has some relations to the moon:-

The lunatic is on the grass
The lunatic is on the grass
Remembering games
And daisy chains and laughs
Got to keep the loonies on the path

The lunatic is in the hall
The lunatics are in my hall
The paper holds their folded faces to the floor
And every day the paper boy brings more

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

The lunatic is in my head
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'till I'm sane
You lock the door
And throw away the key
And there's someone in my head, but it's not me
And if the cloud bursts thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon