Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tribute To My Dear Brother

Dear Blog,

It’s been ages since I last wrote a piece on my Getaran Jiwa.

I had wanted to pay tribute to my youngest brother, Mohd Yunus who died of stroke a week after Hari Raya Puasa. Things happened so fast for him.

My brother only spent two nights in hospital, but death knocked on him much too fast. The Almighty Allah loved him more and spared him the agony of becoming paralysed all his years.

I was shattered when I heard that he suffered a stroke. Our family rushed to the hospital when we heard the shocking news.

He managed to say a few words to us before he was put to sleep. All he could say was to ask for our forgiveness, sending signals that he was leaving us for the next life.

In the morning, he could no longer speak to any of us, but we were told by a doctor, that he could hear us. “Just think of Allah, “ my eldest sister whispered into his ears.

We could not be with him at the bedside then, as it was time for the doctor and nurses to attend to him. All we could do was to recite the Yasin for him outside the ward. When we returned, he was already unconscious.

We were told by the doctor that he had to undergo an operation, after which he would be transferred to the ICU.

It was the next morning that we received the news – that my brother has died.
I could not stop crying –at the ICU and the journey to the Muslim burial place.
He was the closest to me. I wished I could turn back the clock.

It took me some time to get over the sadness. I have had sleepless nights and memories of him – in the morgue and the ICU – were haunting me.

There were regrets on my side – there were limits to what I could do for him. Career-wise, he has not been successful, always in and out of jobs. Life has not been kind to him, but he was a loving father of two kids. They loved him dearly, and were closer to him than their mother, a teacher.

Now that he is gone, may Allah bless his soul. Innalillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un.

No comments: