Sunday, January 3, 2010

High Blood Pressure – What A Start To A New Year!

The year 2009 did not end well for me, health-wise, that is. I didn’t get a clean bill of health as I was told by the doctor that I had high blood pressure (HBP).

I had expected it as I have been having stiff neck for the few days ending December and the pain kept me awake at night.

I blamed it on the stress at the office when work had to be completed before the year ended. The month of December was unusually busy – unlike previous years when many people would be away on vacation on some exotic island.

Going through staff appraisals, PTK examination papers, staff travel claims, preparing/conducting lectures for journalism courses in Bernama, briefing visitors to Bernama, preparing the KPI for my section, etc, etc. Whew!!!

There was a host of other things at work that I had to attend to which added to the stress, and you know what, due to the stress, I couldn’t remember exactly what else that I did during the horrible month of December!

It was because of all this stress that I had been having sleepless nights.And you can imagine when you can't sleep -whatever that is stored in your brain will flashback!

Back to my HBP, the good doctor asked me to have enough rest, and guess what, she gave me panadol to ease the pain. Anyway, I had to believe her that panadol is not a pain killer. It just relieves the pain.

What a day to start the year with a follow up visit to the doctor. The good news is my BP has reduced to a lower level, but “come and check your BP in the next few days,” says the doctor.

Well, so far I have not gone to the clinic as I was feeling much better after having enough rest after the three-day break.

For those with HPB, please don’t take it very lightly. Don’t be like me, I went to the doctor on the third day. High blood pressure is a serious condition that can lead to coronary heart disease, heart failure, stroke, kidney failure and other health problems.

About 1 in 3 adults in the US has HBP. HBP itself usually has no symptoms. You can have it for years without knowing it. During this time, though, it can damage the heart, blood vessels, kidneys and other parts of your body.

My advice is go for regular check-ups.

No comments: