Friday, August 22, 2008

Practice Makes Perfect









(Bernama Pix by Zuber Nordin)

Learning a foreign language is not easy, but you need to Practice, Practice and Practice. As the old axiom goes, practice makes perfect.

Put yourself in the frame of mind that you are going to a foreign country and will have no one to help you so learning the language is a must for your survival.

I am one of the few lucky ones in Bernama who have had the opportunity to learn a second language – Arabic. I have always wanted to master the language of our prophet, but never did before.

I must admit that I was slow at reading the jawi text before this and I have myself to blame for not making an extra effort to learn. I guess the old ‘parrot’ system of learning the verses in the muqadam and the Quran, without knowing the true meaning during my younger days has not been effective.

Alas, this Arabic class organised free for Bernama staff since last year has been an eye opener for me, at least. Conducted by a Moroccan, now attached to Bernama’s Arab Desk as a sub editor, Khalid Chtaibi Abu Hiba, the lessons focussed on conversing rather than theory.

To ensure that all of us can speak confidently, at least self-introduction in Arabic, Khalid provided tape recordings (self) of the lessons to the students. Among others, we were taught on self introduction about our family and job and about Malaysia.

Our group has just completed the third level last Tuesday, with each and every one of us tested on our speaking ability.

The result – all of us did well, not perfect though, but we can proudly say that we would be able to strike a conversation with any Arab national who comes to Bernama or whom we meet for the first time.

To prove a point, I practised my Arabic skills on a group of Kuwaiti university students who visited Bernama last Thursday, Aug 21. During the visit, the students were also given a tour of the NAM News Network on the 15th floor.

But of course, only my welcoming speech was in Arabic, the rest on Bernama and its role and policies, as well as the Q-A with the students, on press freedom in Malaysia and Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim’s sodomy case, were in English. That will be the day when I can speak fully in Arabic. Wonder when?

Our next level, insyaAllah will be held in September during which we will focus on Bernama – organisation, mission and vision, and the editorial department.

إِلَي الِّلقَاء - Illal Liqaa - Until we meet again

مَعَ السَّلاَمَة - Maasalamah – Goodbye

.

No comments: