Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Strange But True

By sheer providence, my late father and my elder sister’s late husband share the same name – Mohd Said. And guess what? The kadi who blessed my sister’s marriage to my brother-in-law was also Mohd Said. What a strange coincidence.

As far as I can recall, my father and brother-in-law did not really get along despite the fact that the latter was his choice. Both hardly agreed on anything, with my father a staunch Umno member while my brother-in-law was a hardcore PAS supporter.

I couldn’t understand how my father had to pick my brother-in-law as my sister’s life partner when she was just not her type and his Kelantan accent was so strong that most of the time, I couldn’t understand what he was trying to say.

But this man who married my sister had a good heart. He was kind to everyone, and would go out of the way to help anyone in trouble. It was this man who filled the spiritual vacuum in my sister, and the beneficiaries were of course, their three kids, all girls. Today, my sister can be proud of her three girls who have a solid foundation in Islam.

Seven years have passed since my brother in law died of brain tumor. Prior to his demise, he had been suffering from severe headaches and took them lightly. Months he was warded in Penang Hospital, and for my sister, a housewife, these were truly trying times.

It is also God’s will that my sister is now staying with me in Kuala Lumpur. Her three daughters are now in their final semester at UiTM and spend their vacations here. It is also destiny that my sister and I are keeping each other company.

Allah does have a way with our life, and being single and with no commitment, the most I could do is to share whatever rezeki (fortune) that I have with the people closest to me. And that is with my family.

No comments: